Microservices are all the rage right now — and the industry is still learning, experimenting, and developing patterns, for successfully designing, deploying and managing Microservices in the real world.
Are you considering jumping on the Microservices-wagon? Do Microservices make sense for your particular use case? What are some of the “gotchas” you should be aware of?
This morning on #c9d9 we had experts from popular chat app Kik, SMB SaaS platform Yodle and hosted CI solution Semaphore share their journey and learnings from decomposing their monolithic application into Microservices.
With Microservices, what was once one application, with self-contained processes, is now a complex set of orchestrated services that connect via the network.
- What are the benefits of Microservices and why do organizations consider microservices-based architectures?
- What are some of the challenges with Microservices – both from a design perspective and from an operational perspective?
- How do they impact your pipeline(s)?
- What are some best practices for enabling CD for your microservices-driven application?
Also, we discuss what Microservices have to do with 1970’s network packet routing, DLL versions, distributed programming, Pipeline-as-code, dependency management, and more. Watch the replay of the episode to learn best practices for decomposing your monolithic application into Microservices, and some tools and libraries to get you started on your journey.
Watch the episode:
// *Update: During the discussion, Daniel mentioned that they were using the open source pacto for contract testing. Later his engineers pointed out that Yodle are actually using pact-jvm as it has better multi-language support.
This episode features:
Join us on Tuesday, February 23, to discuss best practices for how you can “Automate all the things” – to tie together and orchestrate the myriad of tools used in your CI, DevOps and Release processes.
This episode will feature:
Continuous Discussions (#c9d9) is a bi-weekly series. See all episodes here.
Latest posts by Anders Wallgren (see all)
- Continuous Discussions (#c9d9) Podcast, Episode 78: Gene Kim and the DOES17 Speakers #1 - September 19, 2017
- Break the monolith! Loosely coupled architecture brings DevOps success - September 7, 2017
- Speaking with The Agile Revolution Podcast: Agile, DevOps and Electric Cloud - August 31, 2017