OpenStack is an Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) cloud computing project by Rackspace Cloud and NASA. It is a free open source software released under the terms of the Apache License.
The mission of the OpenStack project is to enable any organization to create and offer cloud computing services running on standard hardware.
The OpenStack plugin communicates with OpenStack through its Compute API and Image API using PERL. It allows you to build a cloud by launching images and assigning metadata to instances, providing a more generic interface for managing resources.
The plugin enables you to perform the following tasks:
- Create configurations with the connection information.
- Perform actions on machines.
- Deploy and delete servers.
- Create and delete key pairs.
- Create and delete floating IPs.
- Create ElectricFlow resources.
- Create, attach, detach, extend, and delete volumes.
- Create new images.
- Create a snapshot of a server.
- Do hard and soft reboots of a server.
- Deploy, update, and delete Heat orchestration templates.