VMware ESX and VMware ESXi provide the foundation for building and managing a reliable and dynamic IT infrastructure. ESX Server is managed by the VMware Infrastructure Client. Its centralized management platform is called Virtual Center. These hypervisors abstract processor, memory, storage and networking resources into multiple virtual machines that each can run an unmodified operating system and applications.
The ESX integration uses modules from VI Perl Toolkit which provides access to the ESX system. By using this toolkit, the integration can connect to the ESX server to automate and perform various operations providing a more generic interface for managing virtual machines on ESX servers.
The plugin interact with ESX data using PERL to perform the following tasks:
- Create configuration to hold connection information.
- Query for virtual machine information.
- Perform actions on virtual machines.
- Import and Export virtual machines.
- Create ElectricFlow resources.
- This plugin provides the following procedures: Cleanup, Clone, Create, CreateResourceFromVM, Export, GetVMConfiguration, Import, PowerOn, PowerOff, RegisterVM, Relocate, Revert, Shutdown, Snapshot, and Suspend.