Brakeman is an open source vulnerability scanner specifically designed for Ruby on Rails applications. It statically analyzes Rails application code to find security issues at any stage of development. It’s used through console and generates detailed reports of all security issues found.
Brakeman features include:
- Requires zero setup or configuration once it is installed.
- Can be run at any stage of development because all it needs is source code: it’s possible to generate a new application with rails and check it immediately with Brakeman.
- Brakeman is a Ruby gem, that makes it cross-platform.
- Is a tool simple to use, that can generate fancy reports in several formats.
- Command line calls are available.
- Rich output to apply postp analysis.
- Faster than “black box” website scanners, even large applications should not consume more than a few minutes to scan.
The Brakeman plugin calls the Brakeman functions via command line and passes the user-provided parameters. The plugin allows the input of any Brakeman command, defined in the provided fields of the parameters.