Chef is an open-source systems integration framework built specifically for automating the cloud. Chef makes it easy to deploy servers and scale applications throughout your entire infrastructure. Because it combines the fundamental elements of configuration management and service oriented architectures with the full power of Ruby, Chef makes it easy to create an elegant, fully automated infrastructure.
Chef allows you to create perfect clones of QA environments, pre-production environments, partner preview environments and more. Once automated, you hold a blueprint for your infrastructure, enabling you to build, or rebuild, automatically in minutes or hours – not weeks or months.
The plugin interacts with the Chef’s shell through Chef’s commander agent, allowing you to perform several key functions, such as:
- Download Cookbooks from the Chef repository to the local node
- Install Cookbooks on local nodes (with Git)
- Uploaded Cookbooks from the local node to the Chef server
- Add Recipes to a node run-list
- Configuration defined on a node run-list can be applied to a node.